Saturday, March 15, 2008

Change in Pricing System

I am slowly getting my head around the art world in SL. One of the things I had difficulty with is the art pricing system. Initially, I toured the galleries to survey the cost of paintings, which seemed to average about L$200-300, with the highest at 1,000 and the lowest 150. So I priced my art according to this range, which on average was about L$250, or $1.00.

But on thinking about this, at $1.00 I am not about to become rich, and am in effect giving the art away. And I have still encountered resistance to prices above L$500, or about $2.00.

On thinking about this, I had to ask myself why I was selling my art. Was it to make money? No, not possible in SL. Was it to display the art in my gallery? Partly. Was it to have others hang it in their office or home, and share the beauty? Mainly.
Then how best to do this? I could give the paintings away, but then I would receive nothing to help cover the cost of two galleries, the photo/paintings in The Gallery II on democide already all free. So for the main The Gallery, I decided to price all the paintings (all originals) at L$100 each. I hope this will increase the volume, get the paintings in more hands, and help with the rent.

Will let you know how this works out.

No comments: